I detest Tyler Perry. He’s extremely successful yet he has not come out of the closet. Ok, if you want to stay in the closet that’s your business. I may not totally respect a closeted celebrity, but I understand it. What pissed me off about Mr. Perry was when he went on the Oprah Winfrey Show to talk about his childhood molestation. Any type of abuse is awful and I don’t mean to diminish that in any way. I have a problem with him because the theme of the show was about honesty and he was finally going to talk about the abuse so that other men would not feel ashamed. Oprah filled the audience with other abused men who held up pictures of themselves at the age when they were first molested. Very moving. But it also sends a different message. He is unconsciously telling the public that he is more ashamed and scared of his homosexuality then he is of being sexually molested as a young boy. When you sit down for the big Oprah honesty interview how is that not one of the topics?!? “So Tyler, tell us about your long time partner Nathan.”
Month October 2011
Joe’s Spank Me Time
If you haven’t clicked on www.Zappos.com you must check them out. They have an amazingly HUGE selection of shoes. I picked out some of my favorites that would be perfect for any fall festivity. I mean, futuristic white boots… could you die! (To be honest they’re a little too over the top even for me) Don’t worry if you buy the wrong size, their return process is a breeze. They have everything from designer labels to basic lifestyle at every price. But if you’re looking for something a little stylish and different, give Zappos a try.
Fall’s Top 10
October is well underway and the temp is falling. Don’t let that get you down though. There’s plenty to be excited about and the Gay Gasp is here to highlight Fall’s must haves:
1. Project Accessories- I love this idea! The team at Project is finally capitolizing on their success with a spin off. Molly Sims will host the show starting October 27th.
2. Project Runway All Stars- Heidi and friends are following in the foot steps of Tyra and having an all star season. As always (just like ANTM) there are the faces you instanly remember and the ones that make you think… “Who the hell is that?” Either way I’m pumped! Tune in November 3rd.
visit www.lifetimetv.com for more info
3. Anonymous- (Out 10/28) Another take on the story of William Shakespeare. This films believes the conspiracy theory that all of Shakespeares famous works were writen by someone else.
4. J. Edgar- (Out 11/9) You can tell from the preview when a movie is trying to win an Oscar. This movie about J. Edgar Hoover is one of those movies. It’s a story that is full of legend and gossip. I know Leo and friends won’t disappoint.
5. Red State (10/18 on DVD)- A Kevin Smith directed horror movie about a religious zelot who captures sexually active teenagers.
6. Bad Teacher (10/18 on DVD) Honestly, I thought it was funnier then Bridesmaids.
10. Cold Weather- Warm temps are great, but it doesn’t leave you much options for clothing. Boots, coats, jeans, pants, hoodies, cardigans, vest, sweaters, and SCARVES! Oh my!
The Fashion Dropout
If you want to get on board with this trend, here are some suggestions to finding your second soul mate:
-You already have a partner to fall back on, so for boyfriend #2 try something new. Take inspiration from the Paris runways and go ethnic. Asians are always sleek and sophisticated and Brazilians are notoriously good at Jenga.
-Look far and wide. Over half of the triads I know have a member who are or were out of state. Why not plan ahead and snag a man in your favorite vacation destination such as Hawaii. That way you’ll have a free place to stay next year.
-Guys named Trevor are the best gardners while men named Butch are the best in bed. Choose accordingly.
I sollute the gay pioneers of love and sex. One day Facebook will recognize your union(s) and allow multiple relationship status picks.
Today is the One Year Anniversary of the Gay Gasp. It just occurred to me now that my anniversary date is 10/10/10. The funny thing is that I can’t remember if I did that on purpose or if it was a divine mistake. We’ll just say it was on purpose. My first year has been a successful one. I love that you enjoy reading my rambling and I’ll continue to try and keep it new and interesting. Call it a gay cliché but part of my inspiration was Carrie Bradshaw’s column on Sex and the City. This blog is my version of magazine column. A bit of fashion, sex, observation, and life experience hopefully done in an amusing way.
*I’d like to give a special thank you to my friends Stan, Steve, and Justin. You were there for me and answered my calls. It means a lot to me.